Piraeus port is located at the Crossroads of Europe, Asia and Africa:
- Natural port of Athens and Greece’s main gateway
- First major European port after Suez Canal
- Extended feeder connection to Med, Black Sea and Adriatic
- Extended land connection (train or road) to the Balkans and Central Europe
PPA Container Terminal-Pier I facts:
- Annual capacity of 1.100.000 TEUs
- Operating 24/7, 365 days/year
- Our people are highly qualified and skilled with over 20 years of experience, guaranteeing high quality port services
Our infrastructure can serve the largest container carriers (up to 16k TEUs) with a total Pier length of 1150m and a max depth of 18m.
Total storage area for containers is 72.400 m²
Our equipment is of the latest technology and consists of:
- 7 Ship To Shore Cranes:
- 4 Over Super Post Panamax (22–wide / 65 tons under Spreader) Twin-lift
- 3 Panamax (13–wide / 65 tons under Spreader) Twin-lift
- 1 Harbor Mobile Crane:
- Panamax (13-wide / 100 tons under hook / 50 tons under Spreader) Twin-lift
- 8 RMG’s (14 wide / 5+1 high)
- 22 Straddle Carriers (1 over 2 high)
- 28 Terminal Tractors
- 2 Reach Stackers
- 4 Empty Container Handlers
As of 2009, following an international tender process, PCT S.A. has undertaken the Concession of Piers II & III for 35 years.
The total operational capacity of Piers II and III together with the capacity of Pier I is approx. 7.200.000 TEUs and made Piraeus Port for 2019 (in terms of TEUs handled):
- The largest Container Terminal in the Mediterranean
- The 4th largest Container Terminal in Europe
- The 26th largest Container Terminal in the world
Moving towards Europe’s Top 3 container terminals, PPA-Cosco Shipping have planned a number of investments:
- Infrastructure restoration and reinforcement (budget: 6.800.000 EUR)
- Equipment upgrade, including purchase of new SPP cranes (budget: 9.000.000 EUR)
Below table displays the status of ships that are already being served at the current date (orange color), ships waiting outside the port (red color) and ships expected to arrive (blue color)
Piraeus Port Authority SA (PPA SA) has been awarded double certification against ISO 9001:2015 for Quality Management and ISO 14001:2015 for Environmental Management by Lloyd’s Register (LR).
Aforementioned double certification is a proof of our commitment to implementing best practices of quality services in regards to environmental management and minimizing our carbon footprint.
PPA SA is ISPS compliant, following operation and safety standards according to international regulations.